Student Visa & Residence Permit

How to get residential permit?

All international students in Turkey, regardless of status, must register with, and obtain a Residence Permit (İkamet Belgesi) from Office for Foreigners (Emniyet Müdürlüğü, Yabancilar Şubesi). That means after your arrival when you are sure about your permanent address, you need to apply for a residence permit. According to the Turkish Government regulations, residence permit application has to be submitted within one month of your arrival.

Please note that if you fail to depart Turkey by the expiration date on the residence permit document, you will have to pay a penalty.

These are the documents required by Office for Foreigners (Yabancilar Şubesi):
1- )Student identity paper. (Given by International Office)
1- )4 Photos (passport size)
3- ) Copy of the first and the last pages of your passport.
4- ) Copy of your Acceptance Letter
5- ) Your permanent address in Istanbul.
6- ) Health Insurance **** You have to have ‘Private Health Insurance’. If your country’s general health insurance has an agreement with the general health insurance of Turkey, please contact with yours. Otherwise , it is better to get ‘ Private Health Insurance’ in Turkey after your arrival.

Make sure you have an appointment before you go to the Police to get a residential permit. You can make an appointment at the following link:


Please choose as unit location, YABANCILAR ŞUBE MÜDÜRLÜĞÜ (VATAN)

*If you have got the residence permit already and you need to extend it, you should choose the police station of the location where you live (like Beşiktaş İlçe Emniyet Müdürlüğü)





How to arrive from University to Office for Foreigner:


İstanbul İl Emniyet Müdürlüğü
Fatih Vatan Caddesi Hizmet Binası

A Blok Kat:1   Fatih